My WAR Not-Review - 9.14.2008


Ya know? I was going to do a full on beta review after my previous "disliked first impression". Earlier this morning, I decided against it.

See, four or five days ago, I was invited to the Wrath of the Lich King beta. That was also the last day that I logged onto the WAR beta. I think that shows something in itself. But, don't get the impression that I think WAR sucks, because I definitely don't. This time around, I did play much more of the beta, enough to get a good feel for how the game really works. I liked it, I really did. I liked almost every aspect of the game.

However, the reality is that my computer handles WoW much better than it does WAR. Now, it did run better in the open beta as opposed to the Preview Weekend, but it was still clunky enough for me to completely shove it to the side when I got my WotLK beta invitation. It's very possible that had I been "blessed" with a better machine, I may put the WotLK beta on hold for the moment.

Last night, in the WotLK beta, I experienced one of the most fun things that I've ever done in WoW - the Death Knight starting zone. It was so fresh and different from the other parts of the game. I couldn't log off, it was so amazing. I finished the zone in one sitting.

Once again, I feel that I need to remind you that I really do like WAR a lot! WAR is an amazing game, the thing is, WoW is just amazing-er.

I'm not done with WAR. The Head Start begins in just a few moments and I do plan to take full advantage. I'm going to get as far as I can so that when the game is put on shelves I'll be ahead of the laggy areas. And hopefully, sometimes in the not to distant future, I'll get a new computer. Then, who knows? My WoW playtime might slowly decline.

-Matt Graham

No comments: